Aloo Matar Ki Sukhi Sabji
Aloo matar ki sukhi sabji is an Indian side dish made with mainly potatoes and green peas, garlic-ginger paste, onion, powder spices, and herbs. There are many ways to make this aloo matar ki sukhi sabji, but here I am sharing how I used to make this sabji at home. This is a vegetarian recipe, which goes well with roti, paratha, poori, or with rice as a side dish.
- 2 medium-sized potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into small cubes.
- 1 cup of fresh/frozen green peas.
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic and ginger.
- Finely chopped green chillies to taste.
- 1/4th tsp hing (asafoetida).
- ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- ½ tsp cumin powder.
- ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- ½ tsp garam masala.
- 1 tsp coriander powder.
- 1-1/2 tsp of amchur powder (dry mango powder).
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions and hing and mix them well.
- Saute the onions on medium to high flame until the onion turns translucent.
- Add crushed garlic and ginger and finely chopped green chillies to taste and mix well.
- Cook the crushed garlic and ginger on a low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until the raw flavour of the garlic and ginger is gone.
- Add cubed potatoes and turmeric powder (if you are using fresh green peas, add at this stage) and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the potatoes on a low to medium flame until potatoes are 70-80% cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Add green peas (here, I am using frozen green peas), salt to taste, cumin powder, red chilli powder to taste, coriander powder, and amchur powder, and mix all these ingredients well.
- Cover the lid and cook them on a low flame until potatoes and green peas are well cooked by stirring occasionally.
- Add garam masala and finely chopped coriander leaves, and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the aloo matar ki sukhi sabzi to a serving bowl and serve hot with roti, paratha, poori, or with rice as a side dish.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.