About Beef Stew:
Beef stew is cold-weather comfort food made with beef meats, vegetables, herbs, and spices. This is a one-pot non-vegetarian stew recipe.
- 500-700 grams of boneless beef chucks cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces.
- Salt to taste.
- Freshly grounded black pepper to taste.
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 large onion roughly chopped.
- 6-7 garlic cloves minced.
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste.
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- 5-6 cups of beef broth or as required.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of mixed Italian herbs.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped.
- 10-12 button mushrooms sliced.
- 3-4 medium-sized potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into big-sized cubes.
- 2-3 medium-sized celery stalks chopped.
- 1/2 cup of fresh/frozen green peas.
- Some finely chopped parsley.
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika or to taste.
- 1 cup of red wine (optional).
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.
Method of Making Beef Stew:
- Take a medium to large, deep heavy-bottom saucepan and heat on medium to high heat.
- When the saucepan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add in the beef chunks, season with some salt and freshly grounded black pepper, and mix well.
- Fry the beef on medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until beef meats are well caramelized and brown in colour by stirring often.
- When beef meats are nicely browned, transfer them to a plate and keep them aside for later use.
- Now in the same saucepan, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery, and chopped potatoes and saute them on a medium to high flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and minced garlic and mix well.
- Saute all the vegetables on a high flame for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add all-purpose flour and cook until the raw flavour of the all-purpose flour is gone.
- Add 1 cup of red wine and mix well making sure there are no lumps.
- Add tomato paste, smoked paprika to taste, sugar, salt to taste, freshly grounded black pepper powder to taste, and mixed Italian herbs and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add beef broth and bay leaves and mix well.
- Increase the flame and let the broth come to a boil.
- When the broth comes to a boil, add fried beef and mix well.
- Lower the flame, cover the lid and simmer the stew for 1-1/2-2 hours or until all the vegetables and meats are well cooked and tender by stirring often.
- Add green peas and mix well.
- Cover the lid and simmer the stew for another 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the flame and garnish the beef stew with some finely chopped parsley and serve the stew hot.
Based on 1 Review(s)