Cabbage green peas masala
Cabbage green peas masala is an Indian vegetarian side dish recipe made with cabbage, green peas, garlic-ginger paste, whole and powdered spices, and herbs. This is a very easy and quick recipe, which goes well with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish. This is a vegetarian recipe.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage shredded (approximately 400-500 gram of cabbage).
- ½ cup fresh/frozen green peas.
- 2-3 tbsp of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped.
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes finely chopped.
- ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 tbsp coriander powder.
- ½ tsp cumin powder.
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or to taste.
- ½ tsp garam masala.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- ½ tsp sugar.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 2-3 green cardamoms.
- ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and let the sugar to turn brown.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and green cardamom and saute on a low flame for 10 seconds.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute the onions on a medium to high flame until onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Add garlic-ginger paste and saute on a low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until raw flavour of the garlic-ginger is gone.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder to taste, coriander powder, and cumin powder.
- Mix all these spices well and cook them on a low flame for 10-20 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the tomatoes on a medium flame until tomatoes are soft and mushy by stirring often.
- When tomatoes are soft, remove the lid and cook the masala on a medium flame for 7-8 minutes or until oil gets separated from the masala by stirring often.
- When masala is well cooked, add green peas and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the green peas on a low to medium flame for 7-8 minutes or until green peas are 70% cooked.
- Add shredded cabbage and mix well.
- Cook the cabbage on a medium to high flame for 5-7 minutes by stirring occasionally.
- Cover the lid and cook these vegetables on a low flame for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are well cooked and tender by stirring often.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the cabbage green peas masala for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the cabbage green peas masala to a serving bowl and serve hot with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.