About Capsicum Rice:
Capsicum rice is a very easy and quick one-pot Indian rice variety made with cooked rice, capsicum, spices and herbs. Capsicum rice can be served at lunch or at dinner. Capsicum rice is very easy and quick to make with minimum ingredients. Capsicum rice is also known as capsicum pulao and capsicum masala rice. Capsicum rice is very flavourful, colourful, and tasty rice variety.
For Masala Powder:
- 2 teaspoons of chana dal.
- 2 teaspoons of urad dal.
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 3-4 dry red chillies or to taste.
- 1/4th teaspoon hing (asafoetida).
- 1 tablespoon of grated coconut.
- 2 teaspoons of cooking oil.
- Few pieces of tamarind or to taste.
For Capsicum Rice:
- 2 cups of pre-cooked long grain basmati rice or any rice of your choice.
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal.
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil/ghee.
- 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- 1 medium sized onion thinly sliced or finely chopped.
- 2 green capsicums thinly sliced or diced.
- Salt to taste.
- 1/4th teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.
Making Masala Powder for Capsicum Rice:
- Take a heavy-bottom pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add chana dal, urad da, and dry red chillies and roast them for a minute on low to medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds and coriander seeds and roast them on a low to medium flame until turns aromatic and light golden in colour.
- Add hing, grated coconut, and tamarind and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture to cool down completely.
- When mixture cools down, take a grinding jar and add this mixture to grinding jar and make a fine powder out of it and keep aside for later use.
Method of Making Capsicum Rice:
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add urad dal, mustard seeds, and curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute the onions on a high flame until onion turns translucent or light golden in colour.
- Add sliced capsicum and saute the capsicum on a medium to high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt to taste, and masala powder and mix well.
- Cook the spices on a low flame for 1-2 minutes or until it turns aromatic.
- Add cooked rice and mix very gently, check for the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Cover the lid and simmer the rice for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Transfer this capsicum rice to a serving bowl and serve hot with pickle or raita of your choice.
Based on 1 Review(s)