Chicken and vegetable soup
Chicken and vegetable soup is a very healthy and delicious chicken soup made with chicken, vegetables, spices, and herbs. This chicken soup can be enjoyed at lunch or at dinner. This is a perfect soup for winter or for a heavy rainy day.
- 500 grams of chicken with or without bone.
- 2-3 liters of water or as required.
- 2 carrots finely chopped.
- Some chopped French beans.
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped.
- ½ cup finely chopped cabbage.
- ½ cup fresh green peas.
- Freshly grounded black pepper powder to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- Some finely chopped spring onion greens.
- Some finely chopped spring onion whites.
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped.
- 6-7 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 3-4 tsp of olive oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or to taste.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves/cilantro.
- 1 tsp of mixed Italian herbs.
- 1-2 tsp of corn starch (optional).
- Take a pressure cooker and turn on the flame.
- When cooker is hot, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add in the chicken pieces and saute on a medium to high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add water as required to make chicken stocks and salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients well, cover the lid and pressure cook the chicken for 4-5 whistles on a medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the cooker to release the pressure itself.
- When cooker releases all the pressure, remove the lid and strain the chicken with help of a strainer and keep the stocks aside for later use.
- Shred the chicken and discard the bone.
- Keep the shredded chicken aside for later use.
- Take a deep heavy bottom saucepan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add chopped garlic and ginger and saute on a medium flame for 20-30 seconds, do not brown the garlic.
- Add bay leaves, finely chopped onions and spring onion whites and saute on a medium to high flame until onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped vegetables like carrots, beans, celery, cabbage, and green peas and saute on a medium to high flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken stocks and salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients well, increase the flame and let the stock come to a boil.
- Add chopped spring onions, black pepper powder to taste, chilli flakes to taste, and mixed Italian herbs, and mix well.
- Cover the lid and simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are well cooked and soft by stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded chicken and mix well.
- Cover the lid and simmer the soup for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a small mixing bowl and add corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Pour the corn starch slurry into the soup and mix well.
- Simmer the soup for another 5 minutes or until the soup reaches the desire consistency.
- Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves/cilantro and mix well.
- Ladle out the chicken and vegetable soup to the serving bowls and serve hot.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for and you may add any vegetables of your choice.