About Chicken Korma:
Chicken korma is a very famous Indian dish that is loaded with aromatic spices. Chicken korma is a rich and creamy chicken curry. Chicken korma is made of chicken cooked in shahi gravy made of fried onions, nuts, curd, and flavoured with some powdered and whole spices. In India, chicken korma used to serve with any kind of Indian breads or with seasoned rice.
- 1 kg chicken with bone.
- 1-1/2 cups of curd/yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder.
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1 teaspoon garam masala.
- Red chilli powder to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- Water as required to make gravy.
- 1 teaspoon kewra water.
- 8-10 cashew nuts.
- 2-3 medium sized onions thinly sliced.
- 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil or ghee.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 4-5 green cardamoms.
- 3-4 cloves.
- 6-7 black peppercorns.
- 3-4 slit green chillies or to taste.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.
Marination of Chicken:
- Take a large mixing bowl and add curd/yogurt and whisk the yogurt till its creamy.
- Then, add salt to taste, red chilli powder to taste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and garlic ginger paste and mix well.
- Then, add the chicken pieces and mix well with the spices.
- Then, keep marinated chicken aside for 1 hour.
Method of Making Chicken Korma:
- Take a pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add on 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil or ghee.
- When oil is hot, add on the sliced onions and saute them on a high flame until onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Then, turn off the flame and transfer the fried onions into a plate and let the fried onions come to room temperature.
- Then, take a blending jar and add on the fried onions, cashew nuts, and water as required and blend them into a smooth paste and keep aside for later use.
- Then, take a kadai or any deep heavy bottom pan and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil or ghee.
- When oil is hot, add on the whole spices and saute for 10 seconds.
- Then, add on the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Then, cover the lid and cook the chicken on a low to medium flam for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then, add on the onion and cashew paste and mix well.
- Then, add water as required and slit green chillies to taste and mix well.
- Then, cover the lid and cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes on a low flame or until chicken is well cooked.
- Then, add 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon kewra water and mix well.
- Then, cover the lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes on a low flame.
- Then, turn off the flame and transfer the chicken korma into a serving bowl and serve hot with any kind of Indian breads or with seasoned rice.