About Fish Fry:
Fish fry is a very simple and easy to make fish recipe made with fish marinated with Indian spices and then shallow fried. This is a non-vegetarian recipe. Fish fry is a mouth-watering and very tempting appetizer.
- 500 grams of King Mackerel/Surmai steaks or any kind of fish of your choice.
- Salt to taste.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- 2 tablespoons of besan (gram flour)/corn flour/rice flour.
- 2-3 teaspoons of Kashmir red chilli powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- 1 teaspoon gram masala.
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder.
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder or to taste.
- 5-6 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.
Marination of Fish for Fish Fry:
- Take a large mixing bowl and add on the fish steaks.
- Then, add salt to taste, turmeric powder, Kashmir red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder to taste, garam masala, black pepper powder to taste, 1 tablespoon of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil and lemon juice.
- Then, coat the fish with the spices very well.
- Then, add 2 tablespoons of besan (gram flour) and mix well, so that the spices and besan is well coated with the fish pieces.
- Then, keep the marinated fish aside for 30-40 minutes.
Method of Making Fish Fry:
- Take a heavy bottom pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 3-4 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add on the marinated fish pieces one by one, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Then, fry the fish on a low flame for 3-4 minutes or until bottom side is well cooked and nice golden in colour.
- Then, flip to the other side and cook until the other side is well cooked and golden in colour.
- Then, flip the fish few times and fry on a medium flame so that the fish is evenly cooked from all sides, golden in colour, and crisp.
- Then, remove the fried fish pieces from the hot oil and place them in tissue papers to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining marinated fish pieces.
- Serve this fish fry hot with green chutney, salad, or with rice as a side dish.