About Honey Chilli Potatoes:
Honey chilli potato is a very spicy, slightly sweet, and sour starter from Indo-Chinese cuisine where fried potatoes are tossed in a spicy, sweet, and sour chilli sauce, herbs, honey, and dry roasted sesame seeds. Honey chilli potato is a very delicious and tasty starter, which is also served as a snack. This is a vegetarian recipe.
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes peeled, washed, and cut into wedges or any shape.
- Salt to taste.
- Water as required to boil the potatoes, to make batter, and to make sauce.
- 6-7 tablespoons of maida (all purpose flour).
- 6-7 tablespoons of corn flour/rice flour.
- Cooking oil to deep fry the potatoes and to make sauce.
- 6-7 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 4-5 slit green chillies or to taste.
- 1 medium sized onion cut into cubes.
- Some spring onions whites.
- 1 medium sized capsicum cut into cubes.
- 2-3 teaspoons of dark soya sauce.
- 2-3 teaspoons of red chilli sauce or to taste.
- 1-2 teaspoons of green chilli sauce or to taste.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar.
- 2 teaspoons of tomato ketchup or to taste.
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch to make slurry.
- 1 teaspoon freshly grounded black pepper powder or to taste.
- Some finely chopped spring onion greens.
- 2 teaspoons of honey or to taste.
- 1 tablespoon of dry roasted white sesame seeds.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.
Boiling the Potato Wedges:
- Take a deep heavy bottom pan and add 4-5 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Turn on the flame and let the water come to a boil on a high heat.
- When water comes to a boil, add on the potato wedges and cook on a medium to high flame for 3-4 minutes or until potatoes are 50% cooked.
- Drain off the water and place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and let the potatoes come to room temperature.
First Coating of the Potatoes:
Once potatoes came to room temperature, add 2 tablespoons of maida (all purpose flour) and 2 tablespoons of rice flour/corn flour to the half cooked potatoes and mix well, make sure all the potato wedges are well coated with the rice flour and maida.
Second Coating of Potatoes:
- Take a large mixing bowl and add 3-4 tablespoons of maida, 3-4 tablespoons of rice flour/corn flour, and salt to taste.
- Add water as required and make a thick batter.
- Add on the first coated potato wedges and mix with batter very nicely so that the potato wedges are well coated with the batter.
Deep Frying of Potatoes:
- Take a kadai and add enough oil for deep frying of the potatoes.
- Turn on the flame and heat the oil on a medium to high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the potato pieces one by one and fry them on a medium flame until they are well cooked, crisp, and nice golden brown in colour. Stir occasionally. Do not overcrowd the kadai.
- When potatoes are well fried, remove them from the hot oil and place them in tissue papers to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining potatoes and keep aside for later use.
Method of Making Honey Chilli Potatoes:
- Take a wok or a kadai and heat on a high heat.
- When kadai is hot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add chopped garlic and slit green chillies to taste and mix well.
- Saute the garlic on a high flame for 10-20 seconds, do not brown the garlic.
- Add spring onion whites and saute for 1 minutes on a high flame.
- Add cubed onions and chopped capsicum and saute on a high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soya sauce, red chilli sauce, green chilli sauce, black pepper powder to taste, and tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Cook the sauce on a high flame for 10-20 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water or as required to make sauce, honey, and vinegar and mix well.
- Take a small mixing bowl and add 1 teaspoon of corn starch and 2-3 teaspoons of water and make a slurry.
- Pour the corn starch slurry into the sauce and mix well.
- Cook the sauce for another 2-3 minutes on a high heat, check for the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Add fried potatoes and mix well.
- Add dry roasted sesame seeds and mix well.
- Saute the potatoes with the sauce on a high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add some chopped spring onion greens and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the honey chilli potatoes into a serving plate and serve hot.