Mixed Vegetable Poriyal
Mixed vegetable poriyal is a very famous South-Indian dish made with mixed vegetables, freshly grated coconut, very minimal spices, and herbs. Mixed vegetable poriyal is a very healthy, easy and quick to make South Indian dish, which can be made with minimum ingredients. This is a vegetarian recipe.
- 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- 1 tsp chana dal.
- 1 tsp urad dal.
- 2 dry red chillies.
- 1/4th tsp hing (asafoetida).
- 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Finely chopped green chillies to taste.
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 medium-sized onion roughly chopped.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- 3-4 tbsp of freshly grated coconut
- 1 cup of chopped French beans.
- 1 cup of chopped carrot,
- ½ cup of shredded cabbage.
- ½ cup of green peas.
- Take a deep heavy-bottom kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add dry red chillies break into halves, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds, and let them crackle.
- Add chana dal, urad dal, chopped green chillies to taste, curry leaves, and hing.
- Mix all the ingredients well and fry the dal on medium flame until they are light golden in colour.
- Add chopped onions and saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add chopped carrots, chopped beans, and green peas and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the vegetables on low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes by stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded cabbage, turmeric powder, and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook the vegetables on low to medium flame until they are soft and tender by stirring often. It may take approximately 10-12 minutes.
- When vegetables are soft, add freshly grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer this mixed vegetable poriyal to a serving bowl and serve hot with rice along with sambar and rasam, roti, or paratha.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for. You may add any vegetables of your choice.
Great and Simply Amazing….