Sabudana kheer is an Indian sweet pudding made with sabudana known as tapioca pearls, milk, sugar, dry nuts, and cardamom powder. Sabudana kheer is a popular Indian sweet made on Hindu festival days or fasting days.
- ½ cup of sabudana (tapioca pearls), approximately 150 grams.
- 1.5 liters of full fat milk.
- ½ tsp of green cardamom powder.
- 1 pinch salt.
- 5-6 tbsp of sugar or to taste.
- Few strands of saffron.
- 8-10 broken cashew nuts.
- Some finely chopped almonds (approximately 7-8 almonds).
- Some finely chopped pistachio.
- 2 tsp of ghee.
- 10-12 raisins.
- Rinse the sabudana 5-6 times to remove extra starch from the sabudana.
- Soak the sabudana in 500 mL of milk for 30 minutes.
- Soak the saffron strands with 2-3 tablespoons of lukewarm milk and keep it aside for later use.
- Take a pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- When ghee is hot, add cashew nuts and fry them on a low to medium flame until they are light golden in colour.
- When cashew nuts are light golden in colour, remove them to a plate and keep it aside for later use.
- In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- When ghee is hot, add raisins and fry them on a low to medium flame until they swell up.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the raisins to a plate and keep it aside for later use.
- Take a deep, heavy-bottom pan and add 1 liter of milk.
- Turn on the flame and let the milk come to a boil on a medium to high flame by stirring occasionally.
- When milk comes to a boil, lower the flame and simmer the milk for 10 minutes by stirring often.
- Add soaked sabudana along with milk and mix well.
- Increase the flame and let the milk come to a boil.
- When milk comes to a boil, lower the flame and simmer the kheer for 15-20 minutes or until milk thickens and sabudana turns translucent by stirring often.
- Add sugar and salt and mix well.
- Simmer the kheer for another 5 minutes by stirring often.
- Add saffron milk, chopped almonds, chopped pistachios, fried cashew nuts and raisins and mix well.
- Add green cardamom powder and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the sabudana kheer to a serving bowl and serve hot or chilled as per your choice.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on your taste and for how many people you are making for.